Friday, February 25, 2011

White as snow

It's still snowing in Oslo almost daily. Every morning, as I look out my window from the 8th floor and enjoy the quietness, I see the whole city covered in a thick blanket of snow - each scene more beautiful than the previous day. I couldn't see potholes, grass, rubbish or any dirt. Everywhere I looked was white, clean, unblemished snow. Simply beautiful.

One Saturday afternoon when Kang Wei and I was at the Holmenkollen ski jump area, the whole place is practically covered with thick blanket of snow. Every time the sunlight hits, the snow sparkles, like beautiful tiny diamonds all over. Even more beautiful when snowflakes fall on our faces, they were like sprinkles of tiny diamonds falling from the sky. It was indeed a marvelous sight and reminder of God’s awesome hand in Isaiah 1:18 (NKJV) - “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson,they shall be as wool.”

Then this song came to mind:-
Nothing but the Blood (youtube)
What can wash away my sins?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh, precious is the flow;
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know;
Nothing but the blood of Jesus

I know that not everyone who reads this have experienced snow. But take a moment to imagine that through the death and blood of Jesus, the stains of our lives are washed away, replaced by a beautiful blanket of snow, sparkling like diamonds, untouched by human works - this is a perfect example of how God sees us.

Even as beautiful as it is, the effect of snow is only temporary. When Spring comes, the snow will melt away and I will see dirt and potholes on the streets. Unlike snow, the effect of Jesus' blood is eternal. His blood doesn't just covers over but washes away our sins and makes us whole again – complete and healed emotionally, physically, spiritually. We should constantly rejoice in God’s forgiveness of our sins, which will last for all eternity.

0 comments: