Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Life is a faith journey

That was the revelation I had when we met with another oh-no in our life. This morning I discovered that the Malaysian consulate office in Oslo was closed down last week and all communications will have to be done with the embassy in Stockholm. This could mean extra work to apply for Karalynn's birth registration and passport while the embassy sort out another party to replace the honorary consular here.

So Janet and I were like "here we go again" but not so much of a complaining tone. Last year has taught us that faith as small as a mustard seed moves mountains, and it looks like this year's journey of faith has begun.

That got me started to think that life or faith challenges is not a one-off event, like getting married or graduating from university (though it's more common for people to repeat this) but is a constant occurrence that helps us grow and propel us forward in our spiritual walk. Many of us ask for faith in our life, but faith is like a muscle that is developed over time through habits and regiment using the analogy of exercise. Faith to me is beliefs put into action, which may sometimes involves letting go - of my plans, my worries, my dreams; in exchange for an outcome that is orchestrated by God.

I hurt my back yesterday by doing something I should not have done that made even sitting down very uncomfortable and getting up an agony. I did it because I thought it would make me better but the verdict is not out on it yet. But think if a moment, what if it does get better? And I then understand the term "growing pain" - its something painful to go through, but necessary to help you grow. But what if it also have to involve someone else, take for example the death of a close one, isn't that a drastic price to pay for my growth? I don't have an answer for that, and even if I did, it would not be easy to comprehend or accept it. But I was reminded about the conversation I had with my chiropractor last week who lost her dad to cancer a year ago - that sometimes we are selfish to want someone whom we love to stay with us forever when it could be better at letting them go to a better place. We like to think that we are fortune tellers and able to predict that someone's life will always be great, and this is such waste to die early. But we are mortal, and we come with an expiry date, and thus we have to deal with death ultimately whether it be us or someone else. Thus let us cherish each moment with each other while alive, and not let grief overwhelms and cripple us.

When it comes to healing for my back, I practise a very ironic belief that God can heal everyone of any sickness, including my dad of cancer, but not my back pain. Why? I don't know. Maybe because I can live with the pain, immense as it is. But I know in comparison, some people live with greater pain and disability than me, so my condition isn't that bad as all. Like the setback I face with the consulate and embassy, it's messy but some may have it worst. What I'm trying to say isn't that I'm much better off than other people, but rather other people despite their hardship each day, hangs on with faith, truly depending on God, with God coming through for them  - and so can we expect the same, and yes a mindset change for myself is initiated.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome sharing, i am reminded again faith challenges is not a one off event ! Pray that your back and your dad condition would get better and healed completely :) God bless and congrates on the soon to come new born baby:)

Andrew